Associate Provost for Faculty and Administration
Job ID: 21391
Location: Brooklyn College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Brooklyn College seeks an imaginative and results-oriented Associate Provost for Faculty and Administration. The Associate Provost for Faculty and Administration provides vision and leadership to advance the success of all faculty. She/he reports directly to the Provost and works closely with her to ensure ongoing innovation, assessment, and excellence in the delivery of services to faculty. She/he collaborates with the Academic Cabinet to promote an inclusive and supportive academic and intellectual community for all faculty. Working closely with the College’s Labor Liaison and Chief Diversity Officer, the Associate Provost ensures the timely and appropriate implementation of policies that impact faculty life.
The Associate Provost oversees the delivery of faculty services and the Center for Teaching and Learning (TLC). She/he develops programming and materials that clarify the personnel process, strengthen teaching, learning, and scholarly activity, and encourage faculty engagement. The Associate Provost works individually with chairs and faculty to provide key information, support, and mentoring.
Specific responsibilities Include the following:
- Providing day-to-day oversight for all faculty personnel matters, including promotion and tenure, academic leaves, waivers, degree equivalencies, and multiple positions (overload appointments and external employment); support for departmental and academic program administration, including faculty workload reporting, elections, student evaluations, summer administration compensation, compliance with college and university governance processes and policies and with the collective bargaining agreement.
- Providing ongoing support for departmental administration, including faculty workload reporting, elections, student evaluations, summer administration compensation.
- Developing and overseeing the delivery of comprehensive plans for the professional development of the faculty, including the orientation of new faculty and department chairs, and the management of faculty recognition programs.
- Serving as the College’s Conflicts Officer in accordance with University policy.
- Leading the (Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education) COACHE Task Force and creating and driving other initiatives that improve faculty life.
- Managing faculty services staff and the work of the office of the Associate Provost.
- Implementing and assessing progress on the College’s Strategic Plan and the Academic Affairs Operational Plan as related to faculty.
The Associate Provost sits on the Council on Administrative Policy (CAP) and the Faculty Council and is a member of the Academic Cabinet and the college-wide Policy Council.
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience.
- PhD and experience as a tenured professor
- Experience working in a unionized environment
- Experience leading academic programs
- Experience in academic administration at the chair level or above
- Demonstrated ability to innovate
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, and quantitative skills
- A collaborative orientation to work
- Demonstrated commitments to diversity and inclusion
- Experience in supervision of staff and administrative assessment
- Strong quantitative skills
- Ability to complete institutional grants
- Commitment to shared governance
- Outstanding work ethic and commitment to academic service
- Teaching experience in an urban public college or university.
Assistant Vice President
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit https://cuny.jobs/brooklyn-college/new-jobs/ and click on the position. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Applicants should upload the following in .doc or pdf format:
- a cover letter that sets forth your interest and qualifications for the position
- an up-to-date resume, and the names, and
- contact information (phone and email) for five professional references. References will not be contacted without prior notification.
December 8, 2019
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Executive
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.