About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State fosters intellectual curiosity, encourages critical thinking, inspires civic engagement, and promotes a global perspective. A public teaching institution committed to offering quality programs in the liberal arts and sciences with complementing professional studies curricula, we are grounded in our founding principles of academic excellence and educating all in a diverse and welcoming community.
Westfield State University is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The University is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts. The campus is just a half-hour from the diverse cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and about two to three hours from Boston and New York City.
Campus Title: Assistant to the President
State Title: Staff Assistant
Department: President's Office
Title Code: HA5610
Bargaining Unit: Non-Unit Professional
FLSA Status: Exempt
Funding Source: State Funds (7115-0100)
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Supervision Received: From the President
Supervision Exercised: May direct student workers
Deadline: The position will be posted a minimum of ten days and if needed it will remain open until finalists have been selected.
General Statement of Duties:
The Staff Assistant provides administrative support to the President.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Serve as the first point of contact for the President. Manages all communications directed to the President in an appropriate and timely manner, referring items to appropriate departments or individuals as needed.
- Coordinates, constructs and responds to the President's correspondence.
- Oversee and manage the daily schedule of the President, prioritizing requests for meetings and appointments.
- Review and assess the urgency and priority of all requests for appointments, meetings and special invitations by judging the use of the President's time based upon strategic priorities and schedule appointments in consultation with the President.
- Acquire all required information and background materials necessary for the President to prepare for and meet the needs of those with whom the President meets.
- Prepare notices for meetings; assist in preparation of meeting agendas and backup materials for meetings, as well as compilation of minutes, when required.
- Serve as the recording secretary for the President's Cabinet meetings.
- Make all travel arrangements for President. Process all travel documents, expense reports and reimbursements.
- Plan and manage special events hosted by the President, including, but not limited to, dinners, receptions or meetings.
- Provide back-up support in the absence of the Assistant to the Board of Trustees, including if necessary, participation in the planning and coordination of events or meetings in which Board members are to participate. Also provide back-up support for recording minutes of committee and Board meetings as needed.
- Maintain a follow-up system to assure receipt of required information and timely completion of assignments on behalf of the President.
- Responsible for the maintenance and organization of all records for the Office of the President.
- Develop and maintain spreadsheets/databases as requested by President.
- Coordinates and attends all meetings deemed necessary by the President for the purpose of taking and transcribing meeting notes.
- Attends various functions or events as assigned by the President.
- Works with Staff Assistant/Assistant to the Board of Trustees to coordinate mailings to various constituents and public officials.
- Bachelor's degree preferred, but not required.
- Minimum of five years' experience in an office environment.
- Experience in a high-level administrative support position.
- Strong organizational abilities and attention to detail/accuracy. Must have ability to compare data for the purpose of detecting errors.
- Proficiency with multiple software applications, such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, including merge functions.
- Ability to take initiative, make decisions, exercise independent and sound judgment, communicate effectively and maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to compose letters, gather information for and prepare reports, maintain accurate records, and give written/oral instructions.
- Strong communication skills and ability to deal with a variety of people in a positive, congenial and professional manner.
- Ability to meet expectations for weekend and evening commitments.
Disability Accommodations :
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact Lawrence Johnson, the University's ADA Coordinator at (413) 572-8485.
Background Check :
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An online application is required with the following documents attached:
Please provide contact information for reference providers on the application's Reference section.
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.