Job no: 493229
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Denver, CO
Categories: Student Affairs / Services
The University of Denver Sturm College of Law (Denver Law) is a Top 75 law school recognized for its innovative approach to experiential learning, student welfare, and the public good. Located in one of the nation most dynamic and beautiful cities, Denver Law features an outstanding and diverse student body, an internationally recognized faculty, a motivated and highly professional staff, and a group of roughly 17,000 alumni who have achieved distinction in law, business, government, public interest, and other professional domains.
Reporting directly to the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, and working closely with the Dean and other members of Denver Law's faculty and staff, the Assistant or Associate Director of Student Affairs will develop and implement Denver Law's innovative and comprehensive student life program, including student-focused events (e.g., orientation, awards program, graduation), wellness initiatives, and other student-related programming. The successful candidate will work closely and collaboratively with a diverse range of students, student organizations, faculty and staff members, alumni, and other stakeholders to foster an inclusive, respectful, and affirming learning environment that advances the professional development and personal welfare of Denver Law students.
- Oversight in the development and implementation of Denver Law's innovative and comprehensive student life program, including student-focused events (e.g., orientation, awards program, and graduation), wellness initiatives, and other student-related programming.
- Collaborate with a diverse range of students, student organizations, faculty and staff members, alumni, and other stakeholders to foster an inclusive, respectful, and affirming learning environment that advances the professional development and personal welfare of Denver Law students.
- Advance the University of Denver's commitment to inclusive excellence by working closely with students and the University's Disability Services Program with respect to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Work closely with Denver Law's Student Bar Association and constituent student organizations on matters relating to organizational management, budget accountability, diversity and inclusivity, and other relevant University policies, including event-related policies.
- Provide general professional and personal counseling to Denver Law students, including referrals to appropriate resources, as advisable.
- Oversee periodic revisions to the Student Handbook, Student Affairs website, and other student-oriented communications.
- Work with faculty and staff members on curriculum- and course-related matters, including course and exam scheduling.
- Assist with the launch and development of Denver Law's innovative part-time JD program.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent organizational skills, demonstrated leadership skills, and the ability to work with and lead a wide variety of professionals to complete complex projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Capacity to solve complex problems with creative solutions.
- Demonstrated ability in planning, organizing, and managing processes that bring about the successful completion of specific deliverables.
- Ability to function in a high-paced, collaborative work environment.
- A commitment to working collaboratively, respectfully, and professionally with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- A strong compliance orientation, including familiarity with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Experience in handling ADA accommodations in a work or school environment a plus.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Must be able to exercise good judgment and act professionally in a multicultural environment when dealing with the public and the entire College of Law community.
- Key competencies one must demonstrate in this position include:
- Student Focus
- Interpersonal Skills
- Bachelor's degree.
- At least two years of experience in Student Affairs Administration or similar capacity within an academic institution.
- JD or Master's degree in Higher Education Administration or related field.
- At least three years of experience in Student Affairs Administration or similar capacity within an academic institution.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. with some evenings and weekends as required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Tuesday, September 8, 2020.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.
Advertised: August 25, 2020