Job Posting TitleAlternate Media Design Specialist (Temporary)
LocationLos Rios Community College District (District Office)
The Los Rios Community College District is the second largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The district’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the district offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios district office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work!
The district has approximately 4,000 employees through our four colleges and district office in dozens of different departments that support students at our four colleges and provide welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees and our community partners. Each and every district and college department strives for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and is focused on improving educational outcomes for the students we serve.
Our colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associates degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
Under general supervision of the assigned administrator, design, produce, modify, and evaluate access to media, distance education, and electronic information to ensure accessibility for disabled persons, including overseeing the conversion of print and video materials to alternate media formats. [For a detailed job description for this Los Rios Classified Employees Association (White Collar) posting Job Descriptions click here].
NOTE: Temporary classified positions are limited to 135 work days per fiscal year, per board regulation.
● Designs, constructs, and maintains alternate media formats, including but not limited to Braille, audio, and electronic text, in support of providing accessibility to disabled persons, including distance education delivery and other electronic information systems.
● Serves as a technical resource to students, faculty, and staff to ensure that distance education offerings and other electronic information are provided in an accessible format, develop and present workshops, and provide training on the use of alternate technology to meet individual needs.
● Acquires and produces materials required for equal access by persons with disabilities in alternate formats in a timely manner (i.e., Braille, closed caption), and provides guidelines to faculty and staff for formatting documents and information to ensure that they can easily be translated into an alternate format.
● Develops and maintains a current resource library of assistive technology resources and access strategies, and related records.
● Evaluates equipment, courseware, and authoring systems.
● Keeps abreast of the latest developments and innovations in the field of assistive technologies.
● Oversees the work of assigned temporary staff.
● Performs related duties as required.
ARC – to be determined.
CRC – to be determined.
FLC – to be determined.
SCC – to be determined. SCC is presently hiring for this position.
Total Hrs per Week/DayTo be determined.
EXPERIENCE: Two years of experience directly related to the typical duties of the position.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in instructional design, educational technology, instructional communications, computer information science, media communication or a related field; or an Associate degree in computer science or a related discipline plus two additional years of experience directly related to the typical duties of the position.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (recommended).
3. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required).
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
5. Letter of Interest (recommended).
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
NOTE: Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
Also, Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents. A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
- Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
- Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
- Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
- It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.
Salary$19.62 per hour
Additional Salary InformationNo additional salary information to note
Beginning and/or Ending Dates
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours. After hours inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.