The Vice President of Student Affairs reports to the College President at Evergreen Valley College. This is a full time, 12 months per year, management position.
Reporting to the College President, the Vice President of Student Affairs oversees the daily operations and administration of student services and student life programs. The position is responsible for the planning, directing, administering and evaluating the student services and programs of the college and serves as an effective change agent working collaboratively with the college’s diverse stakeholders to develop and implement innovative approaches to enhance student learning and provide a student-centered learning environment.
NATURE AND SCOPE
The Vice President of Student provides technological and research leadership to offer services and programs which advance the educational mission of the College; develops, recommends and implements policies and procedures; assures compliance with federal, State, local and District regulations; supervises and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel. This position serves on various college/district committees and is designated as the college Title IX Coordinator.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Plan, direct, administer and evaluate the Student Services and Student Life programs of the College including Admissions and Records, Articulation, Counseling, Career Center, Transfer Center, Disabilities Support Program and Services/Student Accessibility Services, EOPS/CARE, Financial Aid, Job Placement, Matriculation, Outreach, Re-Entry, Student Activities, Veteran’s Affairs, Title IX , Middle College, Student Health Services, Workforce Investment Network Programs (CalWorks,/TANF, Key to Success, Foster Care), Student Discipline and Grievance, and other students services areas; assure compliance with federal, State, local and District regulations.
2. Coordinate and oversee the development and administration of the budget for student services; make recommendations to meet the educational and support needs of students at the College; participate in the preparation of grants and the development of the overall campus budget.
3. Develop a cohesive student services organizational structure, imbedding continuous quality improvement and leading the development of student learning outcomes for each program and administrative unit.
4. Work with the faculty and staff to develop student-learning outcomes as they relate to courses and programs in the student services areas.
5. Participate in the college’s strategic planning process and provide leadership for the implementation of the college strategic planning goals in the student services and institutional support areas including organizational structure, budget planning, program improvement, facilities infrastructure, and quality improvement, while incorporating the strategic planning themes of technology, cultural diversity, and campus relations.
6. Provide leadership for program review, including improvement and development; systematic assessment of student progress and learning outcomes; and review and recommend changes to maintain relevance of programs and to meet student and community needs.
7. Oversee equitable access, recruitment, retention of students and efforts to assist student with meeting basic needs.
8. In collaboration with college staff address issues related to accreditation and develop a system for the on-going and systematic review and enhancement of programs related to achieving educational/support services goals.
9. Serve on the Instructional Support Services Policy Committee and other College/District committees.
10. Exclusive of credit curriculum, provide guidance and administration for the College athletic programs in collaboration with the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
11. Supervise the coordination of curriculum development in student services, including review and revision in cooperation with the Academic Senate. Develop and coordinate policies and activities to respond to the educational needs of the College’s student population including program review.
12. Provide leadership for student services programs and courses, assuring consistent quality of student services programs and academic program development.
13. Administer and recommend student services and student services-related policies, procedures and mandates.
14. Ensure that the student services goals related to the College’s strategic plan and other Board- adopted plans related to education are implemented.
15. In collaboration with the Vice-President of Academic Affairs, direct enrollment management. Analyze and report on student enrollment, retention, persistence and goal attainment.
16. Supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff; interview and participate in selecting employees; orient, train, counsel, discipline and terminate personnel according to established policies and procedures.
17. Support and maintain effective relationships among student services departments and the college administration, faculty, staff, and students through participation in shared governance activities.
18. Attend and conduct a variety of meetings, conferences, workshops, and other activities; serve on assigned committees and task groups; represent the College in relations with local, state, and federal agencies; and submit requests for state and federal funds.
19. Attend Board of Trustee meetings as requested.
20. Assume charge of the College as directed.
21. Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
1. Planning, organization, and implementation of various student services programs.
2. Student services, technology and alternative teaching and learning strategies.
3. Strategic planning.
4. Collective bargaining and contract administration.
5. Principles and practices of administration, supervision, and training.
6. Budget development and administration.
7. San Jose/Evergreen Community College governance policies.
8. District policies and procedures.
Skills and Abilities:
1. Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
2. Operation of a computer and assigned software.
3. Plan, direct, administer, and evaluate the student services programs of the College.
4. Provide leadership for student services programs and courses
5. Function in a multi-college district to promote the goals of the College and the District.
6. Recommend and administer student services policies, procedures, and mandates.
7. Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
8. Interpret, apply, and explain rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
9. Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
10. Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
11. Meet schedules and time-lines.
12. Prepare comprehensive narrative and statistical reports.
13. Direct the maintenance of a variety of records related to assigned activities.
14. Analyze complex financial, statistical, and narrative data regarding student services programs.
15. Supervise a diverse work force.
16. Facilitate conflict resolution.