Gogebic Community College seeks candidates for a full-time tenure-track faculty position to teach the Cosmetology Program at our Ironwood, MI campus. The faculty member is responsible and accountable for ensuring the fulfillment of educational goals and objectives of the Gogebic Community College Cosmetology Program. Course load includes a variety of cosmetology related courses and clinical/experiential laboratory assignments. This position is responsible for oversight of the college’s cosmetology instructional area and salon, maintenance and control of cosmetology related instructional and laboratory equipment, related curriculum development, student advising, and other professional responsibilities. The college offers a generous salary and benefits package. This position reports to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
It is important that there is recognition, acceptance, and adherence to the community college mission and philosophy from our candidate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Providing classroom instruction for the Cosmetology program.
• Maintaining student discipline through effective classroom management.
• Developing, updating, and posting course syllabi and instructional materials
• Maintaining accurate records of student progress and submitting grades according to established guidelines.
• Maintaining a safe, professional, and up-to-date academy and classroom.
• Creating, maintaining, and submitting accurate records as required by the State of Michigan
• Developing and maintaining professional relations with the industry through industry visits and advisory committee meetings.
• Coordinating marketing, recruitment, and retention of students with academics and student services.
• Serving on college committees as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
- Possession of current Michigan Cosmetology Instructors License or ability to gain licensure prior to the start of the Fall 2023 semester.
- Licensed as a cosmetologist in the state of Michigan
- Have a least 3 years practical experience in natural hair cultivation, hair care services, skin care services, and manicuring services, at least 1 year of which shall be in a cosmetology establishment.
- Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Associate Degree in Cosmetology from a regionally accredited institution
- Post-secondary teaching experience
- Experience with a Learning Management System (LMS) and teaching techniques
- Background knowledge of classroom and student assessment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee may need to file, handle, and transport physical materials, such as paperwork, books, or tech equipment. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Work is usually performed in various environments, including fitness centers, gymnasiums, and classrooms. Ability to use standard office equipment and physically attend meetings both on and off campus, ability to communicate in person or through appropriate means. Ability to work weekends and evenings when appropriate or needed; availability to attend practices/games on weekday afternoons/evenings and overnights is required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee constantly works in indoor conditions and continually works near a video display.
Persons with disabilities have the right to reasonable accommodation in all aspects of employment with the College. This includes recruitment, application, hiring, training, termination, employment conditions, and any other employer-supported activities. Applicants requesting accommodation should contact the Office of Human Resources at.
IF choosing to live on campus, the following position details will apply:
• Support the needs of resident students directed by the manager of campus suites and athletic/student services director as requested.
• Monitor and support the academic progress of student athletes.
• Work and function in stressful situations while maintaining sound judgement to make appropriate decisions.
• Commitment to developing, maintaining and promoting all program work with a
Don’t just work here... Live here.
About Our College:
Gogebic Community College is more than a place to work. It’s a place to be. As an Aspen Award finalist and the premier provider of quality two-year education in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Gogebic employs a community college approach in delivering university-level quality. Gogebic supports more than 1,000 students with small class sizes and an outcome focused philosophy.
Gogebic Community College’s “Go BOLD” motto prescribes a dynamic environment in which students and employees alike are supported as they do great work, live adventurous lives, and build extraordinary futures.
About Our Region:
A few miles north of ordinary lies the Upper Peninsula’s Gogebic region. Amid nearly a million acres of natural beauty in the Ottawa National Forest, Gogebic is a wonderland for work and a paradise for play. Our dazzling region, known for world-class fishing, hiking, skiing, biking, snowmobiling and outdoor adventuring, represents one of Michigan’s last unspoiled gems.
A Bold Place to Work…
Gogebic is more than a community college… It’s a college community—known for supportive leadership and dynamic, down-to-earth employees. A community institution at the heart of our region’s workforce, the College and its graduates uplift not only local economies, but those throughout Michigan, and beyond. Combining high standards with a “serving the top 100%” approach, Gogebic Community College is a place to make a stand for your career…and make a difference in the lives of students.
A Bold Place to Ski…
Gogebic Community College is the only college in the United States hosting an on-campus ski resort. Home to GCC’s nationally renowned Ski Area Management program, the Mt. Zion Recreational Complex is a professionally managed and maintained public ski facility featuring a state-of-the-art lift and 300 feet of vertical.
A Bold Place to Be…
The Gogebic region provides a stunning, million-acre backdrop on which to explore adventure, connect with nature, and discover yourself. Located four hours from the Twin Cities and six hours from Chicago, Gogebic residents get the best of both worlds: small-town connectedness, with access to big-city culture. Local hiking, biking, skiing, and snowboarding trails include the North Country Trail and the famed 1,200- mile Iron Belle Trail, as well as routes traversing Black River Harbor, the Porcupine Mountains,Sylvania wilderness, and the Ottawa National Forest. With a persistent economy driven by a mix of construction, manufacturing, tourism, transportation, and retail, the region boasts a stable workforce, with skilled positions paying living wages.
Gogebic Community College is a learning community that contributes to academic, cultural, economic, and social success for our students and region.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing all the following in one email, or mailed in one envelope to the Human Resource’s Office:
1. Letter of interest
2. Detailed resume
3. Three references with current contact information
4. GCC Application for Employment
5. Unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment)
6. Other relevant material
Debbie Janczak, Director of Human Resources
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*