Senior Hardware Engineer
Are you a creative engineer with a real passion for hardware design?
Do you love delivering new capabilities through innovative electronics designs?
If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking an expert hardware engineer to help us design custom circuit technology for software-defined radio applications for end-to-end communications systems. As a member of our team, you'll help us build groundbreaking digital and RF circuits for the special operations and intelligence communities to address challenging national security problems and enable planning and decision making in domains as diverse as active threat deterrence, signal intelligence, cyber operations, machine learning, image processing, and applied data analytics. Our systems range from massive RF processing capabilities to small, low-power systems designed for specialized application. You'll join a multidisciplinary team of engineers who believe in fostering an open and collaborative work environment to solve complex problems.
As a Senior Hardware Engineer, you will:
- Lead development of portable communication devices and miniature wireless systems through board-level integration of RF and high-speed digital components, commercially available chipsets, and embedded processors.
- Support evaluation and testing of prototype and deliverable devices through lab and field testing, debugging, and troubleshooting, often under tight time constraints.
- Engage with sponsors to understand and solve their toughest problems and lead a multidisciplinary team to develop unique solutions.
- Initiate and contribute to design reviews, system integration and documentation.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in computer or electrical engineering or a related field.
- Have 10+ years of hardware design and development experience with RF, analog, and high-speed digital circuit design, bringing designs from idea to test and delivery.
- Understand low level RF system design and how custom circuitry can be used to realize better systems for our sponsors.
- Have demonstrated experience leading teams of engineers.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Final Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Are passionate about working independently, working as part of a team, and mentoring other engineers.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*