This job has Expired
Research Associate - Peng Lab
Working TitleResearch Associate - Peng Lab
Anticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with education and experience.
Work ScheduleMonday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm
Job LocationRaleigh, NC
DepartmentDept Molecular Biomedical Science
About the Department
Our faculty are recognized experts in the fields of cell biology and physiology, cancer biology, developmental biology, environmental science and toxicology, genomics, infectious diseases, neuroscience, pharmacology, radiology, and reproductive biology. Our goals are to advance veterinary medical science through innovative basic and applied research, and by mentoring and inspiring students, providing world-class clinical and diagnostic services, and offering the public the latest knowledge through innovative extension and engagement activities.
Our research faculty work in state-of-the-art research facilities including a transgenic mouse facility where graduate students can participate in research projects related to mouse and animal genomics.
A number of graduate programs are available to students interested in working with faculty in the Department of Molecular Biomedical Sciences. In addition, faculty oversee following clinical sections: anesthesia, clinical nutrition, pharmacology, and the radiology residency.
Essential Job Duties
- Develop and perform wet lab research in the lab.
- Serve as a co-investigator and/or key personnel
- Contribute preliminary data to research grant proposals.
- Maintain animal and human cell lines,
- Perform in vitro infections with human and animal pathogens
- Conduct high-throughput DNA and RNA sequencing using cell culture, animal model and human clinical samples, and high-throughput library screen in vitro
- Assist the development of research projects and hypotheses
- Interpret and evaluate data
- Compile experimental results and findings for publication.
The selected individual will understand the rationale for the research, and perform related experiments to test research hypotheses. Research activities include independent management of research projects, experimental assay and protocol development, and designing and carrying out experiments.
Duties include the following:
- Infection of cell cultures with human and animal pathogens such as HIV/SIV and influenza
- RNA and DNA isolation from different cell and tissue types
- Determination of nucleic acid concentrations and integrity on research samples
- Construction of libraries for RNA and DNA deep sequencing
- Performing deep sequencing runs and qRT-PCR assays
- Performing high-throughput library screen in vitro
- Implementing, developing, and optimizing custom experimental protocols
- Independently maintaining lab records and entering experimental results into the web-based LIMS
- Managing sample acquisition from collaborating research laboratories
- Maintaining sample inventory
- Participating in developing methodology, protocols, and troubleshooting
- Presenting experimental results to other laboratory members
- Contributing to publications, reports, and draft manuscripts
Minimum Education and Experience
Other Required Qualifications
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently as well as contribute to a supportive team environment.
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple, concurrent projects.
- Knowledge of laboratory equipment and procedures.
- Accurate record-keeping and data management skills.
- Desire and willingness to learn, develop, and execute new experimental techniques and take on challenging scientific problems.
Required License(s) or Certification(s)
Valid NC Driver's License requiredNo
Commercial Driver's License requiredNo
Job Open Date10/26/2023
Anticipated Close DateOpen Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Position TypeEHRA Non-Faculty
Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)1.0
Appointment12 Month Recurring
Mandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherNon Mandatory - Adverse Weather
Mandatory Designation - Emergency EventsNon Mandatory - Emergency Event
Department ID194001 - Dept Molecular Biomedical Scie
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or email@example.com.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*