This job has Expired
Functional Title:Academic Advisor
Category Status:33-Exempt Regular
Applicant Search Category:Staff
University Authorized FTE:1.000
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
- Working with a population of students who possess a wide variety of interests and aptitudes and determining each student’s specific needs in order to provide individualized guidance.
- Providing students with accurate information on curriculum requirements and assisting with course selection.
- Conducting academic audits and degree clearances.
- Reviewing and compiling student records for new student orientations, leading orientation presentations, creating/updating orientation presentations and materials as needed.
- Managing the departmental major and minor declaration process, processing paperwork, and creating/updating major/minor declaration materials and online course modules as needed.
- Maintaining accurate advising-related records, including student files, training manuals, and forms; ensures accuracy of information published on the undergraduate website.
- Aiding students with career-related decisions and assisting in the creation and implementation of career outreach activities.
- Planning and implementing communications strategies to effectively convey information to large numbers of students.
- Utilizing databases to compile statistical profiles of various groupings of students.
- Developing materials and organizing and participating in events that help attract prospective students to our major and minor.
- Serving as a Department of Economics representative at campus events including Maryland Day and commencement; assisting with the planning of Maryland Day and the coordination of volunteers.
- Completing administrative tasks as needed to support the Department of Economics.
- Assuming other duties as assigned by the Associate Director and the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
Benefits SummaryTop Benefits and Perks:
A bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years of relevant experience is required.
- Degree preferred in any of the behavioral or social sciences, business, higher education, counseling, or a related field.
- Experience in higher education advising and administrative support is strongly preferred. Knowledge of University of Maryland, College Park requirements, policies, and information management systems is desirable.
- Demonstrated skills in creating communication visuals and social media highly desirable.
Job RisksNot Applicable to This Position
Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading. Spend long hours sitting and using computers.
Work is performed in an office environment and requires the ability to operate standard office equipment and keyboards. Must have the ability to lift and small carry parcels, packages, and other items. The position occasionally requires walking some distance to attend meetings.
Open Until FilledYes
Best Consideration Date12/08/2023
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*