Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to perform research in the area of Input/Output (I/O) and data management of parallel programs for High Performance Computing (HPC). You will work collaboratively with LLNL researchers to research and develop new I/O and data management methodologies to optimize the execution of parallel programs targeting state-of-the-art hierarchical storage on HPC systems. This position is in the Center for Applied Scientific Computing (CASC) Division within the Computing Directorate.
- Research and develop characterizations of the I/O and data management needs of HPC applications and complex workflows.
- Research and evaluate I/O and data management bottlenecks in HPC applications and workflows.
- Design and develop I/O and data management support to provide improved performance for HPC applications and workflows.
- Perform empirical studies to quantify the performance of HPC applications using the developed I/O and data management strategies.
- Participate in the establishment of future research directions and contribute to group grant proposals, including preparation and presentation of proposals.
- Document complex research and development progress via technical reports, journal publications, and conference presentations and collaborate with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to accomplish research goals.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to define and carry out the research.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related field.
- Experience in research and development in the area of I/O and data management for parallel applications on HPC systems.
- Ability to conduct high quality independent research and to develop implementations to evaluate the results.
- Experience in programming C/C++ in an HPC environment.
- Experience in parallel programming for HPC, preferably with the Message Passing Interface (MPI).
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact in a clear and concise manner, author technical and scientific reports and papers, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Ability to take the initiative and have interpersonal communication skills necessary to work effectively in a dynamic team environment.
- Familiarity with HPC checkpoint/restart frameworks such as SCR or VeloC.
- Familiarity with hierarchical storage of HPC systems.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2 .
Note: This is a one year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.