Postdoctoral Fellow - Mathematical and Computational Genomics
This amazing opportunity is located in Iceland - Reykjavík, relocation will be offered.
deCODE Genetics is searching for highly-qualified and motivated post-doctoral fellows in the fields of Computer Science, Mathematics, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Artificial Intelligence, Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Statistical Genetics. This is a rare opportunity to conduct cutting-edge human population genetics research in an environment that combines the benefits of academia and industry. Post-doctoral fellows will be mentored by Dr. Kári Stefánsson and other deCODE scientific leaders. Opportunities will be available to initiate and/or participate in publications in highly-regarded journals. The tenure for these competitive fellowships is 3-years with the option to renew for an additional year.
Current graduates and graduate students nearing completion of their doctoral studies are welcome to apply. Immigration and relocation assistance will be provided. The working language at deCODE is English.
Post-doctoral fellows will be tasked with various projects related to human population genetics and encouraged to identify projects and approaches that further the overall deCODE strategy. Potential projects include
- Analyzing the relationship between plasma protein levels and disease (proteomics)
- Analyzing carriers of predicted high impact loss of function variants and identifying common phenotypic traits
- Developing methodology, algorithms and software for the joint analysis of RNA, proteomics, methylation and DNA data
- Developing efficient algorithms and software for analysis of long read and short read DNA data, including assembly algorithms
- Developing methodology, algorithms and software for the analysis of RNA-Seq datasets with a primary emphasis on association with genetic variants and disease phenotypes
- Using machine/deep learning to extract new phenotypes from imaging data
- Developing algorithms and software to work with large datasets and reduce computational resources.
deCODE Genetics, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Amgen, is a global leader in analyzing and understanding the human genome. Under the leadership of founder and CEO Dr. Kári Stefánsson, deCODE has used its unique expertise and population resources to discover key genetic risk factors for dozens of common diseases ranging from cardiovascular disease to cancer.
deCODE has collected one of the world's largest integrated datasets on genetic variation, WGS, RNA, proteomics and associated large-scale phenotypic data. Prior to founding deCODE, Dr. Stefánsson held professorship and leadership positions at several institutions including Harvard University. He and several deCODE researchers are current faculty at the University of Iceland. In 2019, Dr. Stefánsson was elected as a foreign associate of the US National Academy of Sciences.
Basic Technical Qualifications
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, Biostatistics, Statistical Genetics, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence or similar field
- Strong algorithmic background
- Proficiency in C++ and Python
- Experience in working with large datasets, GPU programming, and statistical methods
- Experience in working with RNA, methylation, proteomics, or sequencing data
- Demonstrated expertise in relevant analytical subfields. These include but are not limited to: neural networks, probabilistic graphical models (e.g. Bayesian networks), and network representations of data (e.g. topological data analysis)
- Track record of publishing
Personal Characteristics and Competencies
- Inquisitive: Driven, innovative thinker who takes risks and challenges the status quo
- Self-aware: Accepts and applies feedback and has steadfast desire for self-development
- Collegial: Empathetic, collaborative peer and teammate who is externally competitive
- Resilient: Perseveres through challenges—scientific, personal, professional
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of human genetics and biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at deCODE. https://www.decode.com/.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Amgen's outstanding compensation package features comprehensive benefits. To learn more about this opportunity and to apply, please visit us online at http://careers.amgen.com/ and search job #R-88938.