Job Posting TitleSpecial Projects Beacon Supplemental Instructions Leader (Temporary)
LocationLos Rios Community College District (American River College)
Department LocationLearning Resource Center - Beacon Program
Founded in 1955, American River College (ARC) is one of the largest institutions of higher education in the Sacramento region, serving about 30,000 diverse students each fall and spring at its main campus and centers.
The College has an outstanding record for academic quality and is among the top community colleges in the state for transferring students to the University of California and California State University systems. The College offers education and support for students to strengthen basic skills, earn associate degrees and certificates, transfer to other colleges and universities, and achieve a career as well as other academic and personal goals. ARC also has a strong reputation for its wide array of career programs in areas such as Healthcare, Hospitality, Human Services, Business and Computer Science, Public Safety, Applied Arts, Advanced Transportation and Manufacturing, and Apprenticeship.
Our vision is to transform the future of all students and our community through inclusive, equitable education. The College seeks individuals who share our mission of placing students first by providing an academically rich, inclusive environment that inspires critical thinking, learning and achievement, and responsible participation in the community.
Our Commitment to Social Justice and Equity
American River College strives to uphold the dignity and humanity of every student and employee. We are committed to equity and social justice through equity-minded education, transformative leadership, and community engagement. We believe this commitment is essential to achieving our mission and enhancing our community. The College seeks candidates who are committed to culturally inclusive practices and serving the ARC’s student population. Faculty and staff are encouraged to engage in the ongoing development of their professional skills. The College thus supports employee engagement in a broad range of trainings, workshops, and activities such as the Equity Action Institute, the New Faculty Academy, and the Classified Leadership Academy. Also, faculty and staff regularly participate in trainings offered through the College’s Center for Teaching and Learning and its Instructional Technology Center.
American River College is committed to employees:
● Actively demonstrating a commitment to equity and inclusion.
● Engaging in self-reflection and continuous improvement regarding individuals and their cultural competence.
● Exercising responsibility and accountability for actions.
● Viewing students, ALL students, as equally capable and worthy of our care, time and energy.
● Demonstrating appreciation and respect for others’ perspectives and lived experiences.
For additional information contact Joshua Johnson at 916-484-8925; or firstname.lastname@example.org
● Conduct 1 Beacon (or Beacon Plus) group per term.
● Assign a small group of Beacon Tutors/Peer in area of discipline (approximately 20).
● Conduct 4-5 group observations per week and give written feedback, copy coordinator.
● Attend and conduct pre-semester and onging trainings and presentations (2-3 per term).
●Attend monthly meetings with Beacon Coordinator.
● Support assigned Beacon tutors by addressing concerns resolving minor issues that do not require coordinator intervention.
● Assist and review monthly worksheets.
● Verify prep time with assigned Beacon Tutors.
● Regular communication with assigned Beacon Tutors regarding special sessions, cancellations, group size., etc.
● Track group attendance for assigned Beacon Tutors.
● Submit monthly “reflection report” to Beacon Coordinator (1 page).
● Supportive of fellow Supplemental Instructions Leaders.
● Practices equity mindedness, emotional intelligence, and growth mindset.
To be determined.
NOTE: Short-term temporary employees shall not be employed for more than 135 days, or 960 hours, whichever is reached first, in any fiscal year. (P6123- 3.2 & 3.3)
Total Hrs per Week/DayTo be determined.
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (recommended).
3. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
4. Letter of Interest (recommended).
● Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified.
●Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
Salary$15.00 per hour
Additional Salary InformationNo additional salary information to note
Beginning and/or Ending Dates
Beginning date approximately November 16, 2020 and ending date approximately June 30, 2021.
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 during our business hours.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process.