Location: Springfield, MA
Posted On: Wed Oct 11 2023
The Emergency Medical Services Lab Instructor assists in the laboratory and simulation setting in the Emergency Medical Technician Program. Our Lab Instructors have obtained and maintain current, unrestricted, and appropriate state and national certification and/or licensure where applicable and have earned appropriate education. These certifications and licensures must be provided, as requested, to meet state and national accreditation requirements. The Lab Instructor must be proficient in all areas of prehospital patient management and interventions, communicate effectively, assess students objectively and work as part of a team.
Reports to: Position reports to Workforce Development Director of Instruction and Assessment.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide instruction in EMT courses to students on various topics in basic emergency care procedures and patient management.
- Supervise and/or evaluate students through skills practice in the proper procedures for safe and effective use of EMS equipment and simulation manikins under the direction of the Instructor/Coordinator or lead instructor.
- Coordinate and facilitate groups of students and supervise open lab, as needed.
- Maintain current working knowledge of prehospital practices and EMS education curriculum and teaching methodology.
- Maintain appropriate paperwork and documentation.
- Collaborate with faculty concerning students' academic progress and needs.
- Prepare EMT lab sessions with the proper number of materials and equipment necessary to effectively teach or evaluate EMT skills for each student under the direction of the Instructor/Coordinator or lead instructor.
- Maintain a safe lab environment during skills training and evaluation sessions.
- Attend at least one department or Advisory Committee meeting each semester.
- Carry out other related duties as assigned by the Dean.
- High School Diploma or Equivalency.
- MA EMT certification in good standing with no history of suspension or revocation.
- Current AHA BLS certification.
- Three (3) years of experience as an EMT functioning on an emergency response ambulance.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with underserved students.
- Current AHA BLS instructor credentials.
- Current MA Instructor Coordinator License.
- Experience working with college students in a flexible setting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred).
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Commitment to professional and program development.
- Commitment to developing a positive, learner-centered, and collaborative working environment.
- Strong commitment to anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion, and removing barriers to education.
- Commitment to the Mission and values of STCC.
Applicants who do not meet the qualifications as stated above are encouraged to put in writing precisely how their background and experience have prepared them with the equivalent combination of education, training and experience required for the responsibilities of this position.
Salary: $35.00 per hour (as scheduled for individual courses)
Union: Non Union
Grant Funded: Yes
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Springfield Technical Community College is not sponsoring H1B Visa.
INFORMATION AWARENESS SECURITY TRAINING:
Candidates for employment should be aware that all STCC employees are required to complete Information Awareness Security Training within thirty days of their orientation date and annually thereafter.