Montgomery College is Maryland’s premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. Montgomery College is one of Maryland’s most diverse community colleges, which includes more than 164 nations represented in our student body. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success.
Human Resources Specialist I (S00178)
Job Description Summary
Montgomery College, Office of Human Resources and Strategic Talent Management (HRSTM), has an immediate need for a full-time Human Resources Specialist I (Leave Administrator). The work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Position is located in Central Services in Rockville, MD. This position non-bargaining, non-exempt, grade 27 and is a temporary position with benefits funded through June 30, 2020. Employment continuation beyond this period is contingent upon need and funding. *Not eligible to work a secondary job at Montgomery College.
The Human Resources (HR) Specialist I (Leave Administrator) plays a key role in effectively managing all leave of absences at Montgomery College for all eligible employee types – full-time faculty, part-time faculty, staff, administrators and student employees. This position ensures the compliance with applicable laws – federal, state and local - related to leave of absences to include but not limited to FMLA, disability leave, sick leave, personal leave, etc. as well as with College policies and procedures. In addition, this position monitors all leave of absences and partners with supervisors and managers, employees, and others to ensure the smooth execution of the leave management process.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Administer the full cycle for both Sabbatical Leave and Professional Development Leave: create and update associated forms, documents, processes, and procedures for both programs, work with faculty and staff council to solicit new committee membership, coordinate and run meetings, provide subject matter knowledge and guidance to employee participants, and facilitate review and approval of applicant proposals by senior leadership. Interpret collective bargaining agreements and college policy to insure compliance with current college regulations regarding leave.
- Handle long-term leave without pay request including: conferring with management, gathering information regarding leave request. Interpret collective bargaining agreements and college policy to insure compliance with current college regulations regarding leave. Consult with the risk management coordinator and labor relations specialist to evaluate leave requests as needed. Monitor and maintain supporting documentation.
- Generate monthly reports and ad hoc reports as requested. Analyze requests and prepare responses to management questions on leave accruals, leave balances, and leave reported.
- Monitor, maintain, run and analyze reports, to maintain data accuracy and consistency, between the Banner HR/Payroll and Workday systems during the current dual entry phase.
- Provide annual reports to accounting on fiscal year-end leave balances so fiscal year end terminations can be adjusted. Submit final reports to accounting to record the leave liability.
- Manage flexible working arrangement program: provide employees and supervisors with technical assistance and guidance; maintain a list of all eligible positions; gather and analyze relevant data; produce and maintain program records and reports; and review and resolve any issues that may arise.
- Coordinate COBRA submissions and track employees on leave without pay to bill them for their benefits. Insure employees on leave receive pension credit if applicable.
- Participate in New Hire Orientation for benefits and Facilitate Leave Program Training Sessions.
- Assist employees with benefit questions and process benefit changes in Workday.
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Business Administration, Human Resources Management, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Two (2) years of progressively responsible professional experience that exposes the employee to the principles and practices of Human Resources Management and the operations of an organization, especially an educational institution.
- Ability to handle confidential information with the highest level of discretion.
- Good analytical skills with emphasis on issue resolution.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Knowledge and experience with Workday.
- SHRM-CP or PHR certification.
- Extensive knowledge of laws and regulations regarding leave of absences, including HIPAA, FMLA, ADA, FLSA, and Wage and Hour Law.
- Excellent customer service skills with an ability to answer questions tactfully and diffuse situations with employees and managers.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check and degree verification (if applicable). Must provide proof of US degree equivalency for international degrees.
- Participation in a retirement plan.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.
Wednesday, February 19, 2020
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace
For disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353
or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.