Basic Function and Responsibility:
Must be a visionary who recruits, empowers and ensures the success of students and faculty in the recently formed School of Cinema & Media Arts.
The Dean is responsible for the leadership, administration and operations of the School in support of the University’s mission. This individual must have a keen appreciation of the power of cinema and media arts to communicate story and impact culture.
She or he must care deeply about students’ spiritual development, cultivating the integration of faith and learning throughout the curriculum. This person must also have an appreciation for the increased perspective, insight and cultural humility that is gained from leading and serving in a diverse community.
The Dean is a member of the Provost’s Council of Instructional Deans and the President’s Administrative Council.
• The Dean reports to the Provost.
• The School Chairs and Directors report directly to the Dean. The Dean also provides supervision for the School's administrative support staff.
• The preferred candidate will possess an earned master’s degree, terminal degree preferred, from an accredited institution. A record of accomplishment in the areas of teaching, research, and service that would merit appointment as a Full Professor would be ideal.
• However, significant business experience in media and entertainment, or allied field, combined with the credibility to lead in an academic environment is also ideal.
• A distinguished body of significant creative work within the field of media arts.
• Ability to think strategically and demonstrate ability to develop a cohesive strategic plan for a complex organization and to implement it effectively.
• Proven fundraiser who enjoys the process and is comfortable and effective developing relationships with a diverse community of corporations and foundations as well as alumni and a broad range of existing and potential individual major donors.
• Demonstrated Christian faith, maturity and servant-leadership
• Demonstrated commitment to Biola University’s mission, vision and core values
• Agreement with Biola’s statement of faith
• Demonstrated successful leadership experience that inspires and excites others to follow
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies and promote a collegial work environment
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
• Commitment to equal opportunity, intercultural understanding, educational excellence, student learning and faculty advocacy
• A record of transparent, strategic and effective fiscal management
• Demonstrated commitment to the principles of shared governance
• Demonstrated commitment to servant leadership, personal and professional integrity, and creating a climate of support and advocacy that ensures the success of diverse populations within the School.
• Provide transformative vision, leadership and advocacy for the School
• Create and implement a strategic plan that leads the School to distinction and is aligned with broader university strategic goals and priorities.
• Promote the value of biblically integrated liberal arts education through School programs & university collaborations.
• Manage the fiscal well-being of the School, including identifying and attracting new resources for the School.
• Oversee the recruitment, appointment, review, professional development and evaluation of faculty and staff.
• Support student recruitment, retention and graduation.
• Work with University Advancement to maintain and cultivate relationships with the alumni and friends of the School in order to secure financial resources through development efforts and initiatives.
• Assure ongoing quality and continuous improvement in the School’s academic program array.
• Provide leadership to initiatives that foster and enhance inclusive excellence and multicultural and global competence in the School.
• Participate as a member of the university administration and work collegially and collaboratively with leadership across campus to support the priorities of the campus.
• Other duties as assigned.