Full Job Description
Accounting Manager Job Description
Founded is 1971, the mission of Bayview Hunters Point Foundation for Community Improvement, Inc. (the Foundation) is to build a community that is empowered, clean, safe, and healthy.
What We Do
We envision a future where every individual served will have the opportunity for growth, recovery, and inclusion in their community; access to culturally competent services and supports of their choice; and enjoy a quality of life that includes family, friends, and community engagement. Together, we join with the individuals we serve on their self-determined and holistic path to recovery.
We Value People…. We believe people should be treated with dignity, respect, fairness, and consideration in environments that are safe and comfortable and that support individual advancement.
We Value Growth…. We believe that personal growth is promoted through attention to present strengths and not past weaknesses. The development of community supports and resources enhances the quality of life.
We Value Diversity…. We believe that an atmosphere of mutual respect for each other’s differences adds quality to our services and is essential to the rehabilitation process.
We Value Shared Ideas…. We believe that listening is a crucial part of effective communication and that consumers should actively participate in their service planning.
We Value Advocacy…. We believe that everyone is responsible for bringing about the change necessary to benefit those we serve to the fullest extent.. . .and believe services must be available as long as they are needed.
Under the direction of our Chief Financial Officer, the Accounting Manager oversees finance operations and accounting tasks performed in the Finance Department. Our ideal candidate provides supervisory guidance to a team of 3-4 and oversees their work plans, training, and professional development. The Accounting Manager is responsible for ensuring BVHP’s finance operations run smoothly, while managing concurrent projects with competing deadlines, in addition to incorporating process improvements where possible. The incumbent needs to be proficient with policies and procedures, accounting principles, and reporting requirements. Areas of responsibility include:
General Ledger Management: Oversee general ledger activities to ensure the accuracy of all general ledger accounts. Review and approve allocations and transactions; oversee account reconciliations, maintain schedules; perform cost allocations; and prepare releases of net assets from restriction. Ensure proper internal controls are in place. Manage the month-end closing process to ensure a timely and accurate close.
Cash Management: Monitor and maintain daily balances on cash accounts to ensure that the organization has the necessary funds to pay vendors, grantees, and staff. Reviews and approves the processing of weekly disbursement batches to ensure accuracy of booking.
Automated Accounting Systems and Integrations: Oversee effective integration and use of automated accounting systems. Support system integration with other teams such as Human Resources to ensure accuracy and reconciliation between functions.
Accounting Financial Reporting: Prepare monthly and quarterly financial statements and create tools to present data that is easily understood by staff and the Board to understand the organization’s financial performance. Prepare timely reports and financial analysis.
Revenue and Projections: Review revenue projections and provides analysis for budget planning and implementation.
Audit and Tax Preparation: Oversee successful completion of the annual audit and the preparation of audit documentation. Support the Controller as the primary liaison to auditors in the preparation and review of the annual financial statements and during fieldwork to ensure their needs are met. Prepares various tax filings including property and sales tax, state fundraising filings, and supports the outside accountants in preparation of IRS Form 990 to ensure compliance.
Compliance: Help create and foster a culture of ethics and compliance within the organization. Revise and disseminate the organization’s accounting policies and assists the Controller in monitoring and enforcing them. Conducts or oversee finance policies orientations with new staff and provides ongoing refreshers for staff. Supports the Controller with compliance with laws and regulations governing the agency.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Minimum 7+ years of related and management experience (in a non-profit is a bonus!)
- Experience working in a nonprofit with City and Government funding
- Broad knowledge of the organization's operational, personnel, and financial transactions and systems
- Broad knowledge of financial transactions and systems, as well as related policy, accounting, and regulatory compliance requirements
- Basic knowledge of industry best practices
- Thorough interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively across the organization at all levels
- Strong skills using common desktop / web applications
- Broad service orientation skills; proven ability to multi-task effectively in a varied, high volume environment; sound judgment and decision-making skills; and reasoning ability to develop original ideas to solve problems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- CPA / Certified Public Accountant
- Professional certification
- Able to lift fifty (25) pounds
- Valid California Driver’s License (if job functions require)
- Ability to go up and downstairs with no limitations
- Ability to sit and/or stand for significant periods of time
- Able to meet required state, federal, local and BVHP standards (including, but not limited to) a comprehensive background screening and depending on the position, Live Scan fingerprinting clearance
- First two Covid-19 vaccinations of (Moderna or Pfizer) or one dose of Johnson & Johnson
What We Offer
- Competitive salary in a fun and dynamic work environment
- 12-15 paid Holidays
- Sick and vacation time
- A hybrid work schedule
- A 403b retirement plan
- Ongoing professional development
- A great work/life balance
- A chance to make a difference for people in need and be of service to an amazing community
Please submit a resume and cover letter that highlights your experience and your connection to our organization and values.
BVHP is a welcoming space for all. We embrace diversity in all forms- race, gender identity, sexuality, country of origin, religion, or ability. Candidates with diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. BVHP is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $90,000.00 - $100,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: Hybrid remote in San Francisco, CA 94124
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*