132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions. 22 New Jobs Today.
Director of Organizing and Elections
Director of Organizing and Elections
Full Job Description
Care. No matter what:
PPLM has been a leader in promoting sexual health for more than 90 years. We believe that all people deserve the information and expert services to make informed, personal decisions that affect their health, their lives and their futures. We are the state’s leading provider of sexual and reproductive health services. We educate families and empower youth to make responsible choices that lead to healthier lives. We advocate for policies that improve sexual health.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
PPLM believes sexual health is essential to every person’s overall health, well-being and happiness. We recognize that geographical and systemic barriers entrenched in discrimination and stigma prevent people in Massachusetts from having equitable opportunity to choose their own path and access to sexual and reproductive health care. In order to address health equity in communities across Massachusetts in an authentic way, we must start with ourselves. We are taking focused steps to make progress in our own organization. We have embarked on a diversity, equity and inclusion journey that will lead us toward becoming an organization that better reflects our patients and embodies cultural humility. We are wholeheartedly committed to this work.
The Director of the Organizing (DO) for the Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts (PPLM) and the Planned Parenthood Advocacy Fund of Massachusetts position facilitates the advancement of PPLM/PPAF’s healthcare/public health mission through community organizing (organizing) and electoral strategic implementation. This role advises the ED of PPAF/EVP of External Affairs and PPLM Executive leadership on local, state, and federal electoral activity and community organizing relationships that directly or indirectly relate to healthcare and public health that impact the mission of PPLM and PPAF. This position reports directly to the ED of PPAF/EVP of External Affairs of PPLM.
The DO oversees organizing and for the entire state and works with the Director of Health Policy & Government Relations and the Director of Communications & Marketing to strategically advance PPAF’s electoral priorities to advance PPLM’s healthcare. They ensure equitable implementation of directly supervise the Organizing Manager’s state-wide management of organizing programs and the coordination of statewide electoral work and organizing programs for PPAF and PPLM’s External Affairs Department. The DO is responsible for the strategic development and strategic implementation of statewide electoral work in collaboration and coordination with the Director of Health Policy & Government Relations and the Director of Communications & Marketing. This role is also responsible for the strategic development and implementation of organizing programs. This is done in collaboration with the Organizing Manager, as a direct report, to design and meaningfully advance the healthcare and public health organizational goals and initiatives of PPAF and PPLM to include: centering racial and gender justice that involves improving safe equitable access to abortion healthcare services , sexual and reproductive healthcare, building and sustaining PPAF’s power and role with communities and coalitions from across the state in the movement for reproductive rights, health and freedom, and centering PPAF’s programs around health equity. This role ensures consistent engagement opportunities exist for supporters across the state to act in support of Planned Parenthood programs to include Patient Advocacy (Speakers Bureau), Black Organizing, Youth Organizing (PPGeneration/PPGenAction), Latinx Organizing (Raíz), and State Fights (PACE) programs and other equity and inclusive-driven organizing advocacy program focus areas.
This role is integral to PPLM/PPAF’s ongoing efforts and initiatives that incorporate diversity, equity, and inclusion to address statewide local health disparities. This position leverages the voice and power of communities across the state to further position PPLM/PPAF as a healthcare and public health leader to achieve health equity across the entire State of Massachusetts. This individual engages as a collaborative team partner with the Department’s Communications & Marketing and Health Policy & Government Relations Teams. The DO also collaborates across PPLM to include engagement that facilitates proactive community organizing planning with PPAF and External Affairs leadership. The team-oriented and collaborative efforts of the DO will help establish intersectional support with coalitions aligned with PPLM/PPAF mission as the leading expert on abortion access, sexual and reproductive health, comprehensive sex education, and policy.
Compensation: 95-105k /Annually depending on experience
This is a full time position
Substantial weekend and evening hours necessary
- Collaborate with the Communications & Marketing and Health Policy & Government Relations Teams to develop a well-researched and informed electoral and community organizing programmatic strategies.
- Advance the PPLM/PPAF legislative agenda for healthcare and public health advocacy priorities at the local and state level through coordinated organizing and electoral work.
- Ensure equitable regional program implementation and access of all community organizing programs across the State of Massachusetts.
- Develop and manage the Organizing and Electoral budget.
- Supervise the development of digital organizing communications (calls to action, fact sheets, infographics, inclusive of information for digital media/digital organizing activities) in collaboration with the Communications & Marketing and Health Policy & Government Relations Teams related to non-partisan voter mobilization in elections and canvassing, organizing to participate in supportive activities for lobbying, and organized community advocacy.
- Supervise the data management of organizing programs to evaluate and monitor programmatic outcomes that move forward strategic health equity initiatives.
- Monitor changes in the sociopolitical environment at the local, state, and federal levels to determine electoral and community organizing strategic planning and program activities with the Organizing Manager.
- Engage in PPAF and Cross-Departmental PPLM Strategy Development.
- Consult with the Health Policy and Government Relations Team on PPAF electoral legal compliance of all election and campaign finance laws and regulations at the state and federal levels.
- Oversee the management and planning of all PPAF electoral activities (e.g., electoral questionnaire development, endorsement process, ballot initiative development, and electoral field work).
- Evaluate PPAF electoral materials to ensure their accurate reflection of PPAF’s community organizing programming and representation of PPAF’s legislative agenda.
- Supervise the management of the process of Planned Parenthood Federation of America and external grant documentation and reporting for Organizing programs.
- Collaborate with Planned Parenthood Federation of America’s (PPFA) elections and organizing staff and other Planned Parenthood affiliate staff that help pursue or local and state health policy goals. Participate in PPFA conference calls and attend national meetings and conferences as necessary related to Organizing and Elections.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with individuals and organizations to facilitate new partnerships and advance grassroots strategies.
- Supervise the management of volunteers, interns, and a supporter database using VAN (Voter Activation Network) to coordinate strategic activities with PPAF/External Affairs leadership.
- Coordinate with the Organizing Manager and staff to recruit supporters to attend electoral and healthcare and public health advocacy programs and activities including phone banks, canvasses, and programmatic advocacy activities that support communities and endorsed candidates; in some instances, manage these events.
- Act as a representative of PPAF/PPLM at external events and meetings.
- Participate in Board meetings as needed in coordination with the ED of PPAF/EVP of External Affairs.
- Undergraduate degree and/or significant experience in the field required, advanced degree a plus.
- 5 – 7 years of proven campaign, volunteer/intern management, program management, organizational strategic planning, and advocacy/organizing experience.
- Minimum of two full election cycles or two full years supporting a single candidate or a political issue in grassroots, community organizing or election campaign capacity; experience in both areas a plus.
- Demonstrate a commitment to DEI work. Leadership experience working with DEI initiatives a plus
- Experience with organizational budgetary management and personnel supervisory management
- Familiarity with Massachusetts community coalitions and political landscape strongly preferred
- Experience with analytics and data/database management preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and comfortable making public presentations required
- Must take initiative, be strategic, resourceful, highly analytical, and meet tight and rapid external legislative and coalition due dates.
- Occasional weekend and after hours work as necessary due to external legislative and electoral cycle preparation/engagement.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is strongly preferred; frequent statewide travel is necessary.
- Demonstrate ability to work with people of different races, ethnicities, sexual and gender identities and expressions, ages, abilities, and experiences.
- Background/Strong interest in family planning and sexual health policy, reproductive rights, reproductive justice, knowledge of local community, national and state healthcare/public health organizing advocacy activities. Demonstrate ability to work with people of different races, ethnicities, sexual and gender identities and expressions, ages, abilities, and experiences.
- Schedule will vary and include frequent nights and weekends.
- Ability to speak additional languages preferred.
Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes; health, dental and vision insurance, 11 paid holidays, 403B retirement plan with a 3% employer match, paid parental leave, paid time off, flexible spending accounts and more.
Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*